Rehabilitation & Liquidation Oversight
- Open Receiverships in TX and Contact Information
- NAIC GRID - National Receivership Database
- Offices of Special Deputy Receivers (SDRs)
- SDR Eligible Bidders List
- Contract Administration for Special Deputy Receivers
The mission of Rehabilitation & Liquidation Oversight is to facilitate the efficient administration of insurance company receiverships, both for rehabilitation and liquidation for the benefit of policyholders, receivership creditors and the taxpayers of Texas.
Special Deputy Receivers
Rehabilitation & Liquidation Oversight ("RLO") staff monitors the SDRs' receivership case administration by analyzing and evaluating reports filed by the SDR with the Court, as required by the Insurance Code.
The SDR files with the Court quarterly documents for the receivership which include:
- "a report summarizing the expenses incurred during the period" (TEX. INS. CODE ANN. § 443.015 (g))
- "a statement of assets and liabilities of the insurer" (TEX. INS. CODE ANN. § 443.016 (a) 1)
- "the changes in those assets and liabilities" (TEX. INS. CODE ANN. § 443.016 (a) 2)
- "all funds received or disbursed by the receiver during the period" (TEX. INS. CODE ANN. § 443.016 (a) 3)
In addition, the SDRs report activities, expenses, and the financial activity of the receivership monthly to RLO. Staff reviews the reports and regularly communicates with the SDRs regarding the status of the receivership.
For information about becoming an SDR, see SDR Contract Administration.
For legislation regarding Receiverships for Rehabilitation and Liquidation see Chapter 443 of the Texas Insurance Code.
The Receivership Court
The District Court in Travis County, Texas is designated by statute (TEX. INS. CODE ANN. § 443.005 (g)) as the Receivership Court. It is the Court where receivership actions are brought by the Texas Attorney General, as well as the Court where suits by and against the Receiver are brought. The Court also has exclusive venue over suits against guaranty associations. In addition, the Insurance Code provides that the Receivership Court provide judicial supervision for each receivership. The Receivership Court has appointed a Special Master to hear certain matters presented to the Receivership Court for approval. All communications to the Special Master should be sent to SpecialMasterClerk@tdi.texas.gov or call Jean Sustaita at (512) 676-6915.
The next Receivership Status Conference date before the Special Master is November 2, 2015 at the Texas Department of Insurance, 333 Guadalupe, Austin, Texas, in Room 100. Please see the revised 2015 Special Master's Docket Schedule for additional Status Conference and Submission Docket dates. (Docket Schedule)
The Rehabilitation and Liquidation Oversight Staff:
- John Alexander, Director - John.Alexander@tdi.texas.gov
- Deona Sokol, Executive Assistant - Deona.Sokol@tdi.texas.gov
- David Amaro, Records Specialist - David.Amaro@tdi.texas.gov
- Jemmie Russell, Supervising Analyst - Jemmie.Russell@tdi.texas.gov
- Kathy Gartner - Kathy.Gartner@tdi.texas.gov
- Matt Milam - Matt.Milam@tdi.texas.gov
Texas Guaranty Associations
- Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association - provides coverage for property and casualty (home/auto) insurance.
- Texas Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association - provides coverage for life and health insurance.
- Texas Title Insurance Guaranty Association - provides coverage for title insurance.
- Texas Self Insurance Group Guaranty Fund - provides coverage for workers compensation insurance benefits for self-insured groups.
For more information contact:
Last updated: 08/13/2015