The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) has compiled resources to help community groups and others working with disaster victims who may have insurance claims.
Help with insurance questions
TDI’s Help After the Storm resource page is a one-stop shop for consumer information. Our Help Line is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday: 800-252-3439.
- Help after the storm: Quick tips to help start the claim process and begin repairs (PDF): English | Español
- Tips to help avoid contracting scams (PDF): English | Español
- Help after the Storm presentation: Common insurance questions, how to get help, fraud prevention tips: PowerPoint (.ppsx) | PDF
- How to find a good contractor after a storm: Interview with the executive director of the Roofing Contractors Association of Texas (13:36)
- How to get help with an insurance complaint: Interview with TDI manager about the complaint process (9:20)
- Estamos listos para ayudar: Spanish-language answers to storm questions (3:11)
- How to get mental health services: Short video on access to mental health care (0:42)
- Roof claims: The basics of insurance coverage for roofs and the claim process (3:28)
Prevent contractor fraud
Our toolkit lists actions local officials can take to deter scams, such as requiring permits for out-of-town solicitors and contractors. The toolkit also has printable flyers in English and Spanish, sample social media posts, and links to other resources. View the online toolkit
Report price gouging
It’s illegal to charge excessive prices for building materials and necessities to take advantage of a disaster. Report suspected price gouging to the Office of the Attorney General.
Insurance company phone numbers
For company phone numbers, use our Company Lookup or call us at 800-252-3439.
Resources and key contacts
- DisasterAssistance.gov: Apply for FEMA help, check the status of your application, or find a hotel that accepts FEMA's Transitional Sheltering Assistance.
- Texas Division of Emergency Management
- Texas FAIR Plan Association: 877-786-5665 (English) or 866-443-6738 (Español).
- 2-1-1 Texas: Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, health care, and more.
- Windstorm Inspection Program
- Texas Department of Motor Vehicles: Water-damaged vehicles title check
- Texas Voluntary Organization Active in Disaster