Public Protection Classification (PPC) is the countrywide classification system used by the Insurance Services Office, also known as ISO Mitigation, to grade a community's local fire protection. This grade is then used to set property insurance rates.
The public fire protection of a city, town, or area is graded using ISO's Fire Suppression Rating Schedule to develop the community's classification. See also Texas Exceptions to the Fire Suppression Rating Schedule (PDF).
The Texas State Fire Marshal’s PPC oversight officer provides the following services:
- Approve / disapprove PPC rating recommendations.
- Mediate complaint resolution.
- Technical assistance to departments
For questions, contact the PPC oversight officer at PPCOversight@tdi.texas.gov.
- The InsurED webinar “Public Protection Classification (PPC) Oversight” gives an overview of the PPC Oversight Program in the State Fire Marshal’s Office. Learn about the Insurance Services Office and the fire suppression rating schedule survey.
- FAQ about Public Protection Classification
- Fire Suppression Rating Complaint Form (PDF)
- Individual training hours (Excel)
- Use this Excel document to track all trainings throughout the year. You can give this document to the ISO representative when they are conducting a survey of your area. Excel 2007 and newer required.
- Use this Individual Training Hours PowerPoint as a step-by-step guide for using the Excel document.
- Personnel can use this Training Roster Template to sign into training. The training coordinator can use it to log attendance on the Individual training hours spreadsheet.