Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

How to file a complaint about a self-funded health plan

How to know if you’re in a self-funded health plan:

Look at your health plan ID card. If the card does not have “TDI” or “DOI” on it, it means your health plan is self-funded.

See example cards


Many large employers have self-funded plans. A self-funded health plan is one in which the employer pays claims itself. The employer may hire an insurance company, HMO, or someone else to handle claims and paperwork. For more information, read TDI's publication Understanding Employer Self-Funding of Employee Health Benefits.

Self-funded plans are regulated by federal law and are under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Labor.

Self-funded plan offered by a school district, government, union, or church employer

Follow the complaint procedures in your health plan's benefits booklet and other plan documents.

Self-funded plan offered by a private-sector employer

File your complaint online with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration. You also can contact their Dallas Regional Office at:

525 South Griffin St, Room 900
Dallas, Texas 75202


Not sure what kind of plan you have?

Look at your plan documents or talk to the benefits administrator where you work.

Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 6/23/2023