Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

How to get help with a homeowners or renters insurance complaint


Need help with a homeowners or renters insurance problem? Or want to file a complaint? Here are four steps to get the help you need.

Step 1: Talk to the insurance company

You can resolve many issues by talking to your insurance company or agent. If you disagree with the adjuster's estimate, tell the company why. The company might raise the estimate if it finds out that it overlooked something or gets new information. Send the company any supporting documents, such as a contractor’s estimate for the repairs.

If you still disagree, you have several options to challenge the insurance company’s decision.

Most companies have a toll-free customer help line. The phone number is printed on your policy.

Step 2: Ask for an appraisal or hire a public adjuster

Your policy may include an appraisal process to resolve complaints. If you choose appraisal, you and the company each hire an appraiser. The two appraisers then choose a third appraiser as the umpire. You must pay for your appraiser and half of the umpire’s costs.

The appraisers review your claim and estimate the amount of damage. If their estimates are different, the umpire decides.

Check your policy for any deadlines to request appraisal. If you need help finding an appraiser, search for a “property damage appraiser” online or check with your contractor.

Public adjusters

Some people hire public insurance adjusters to help them negotiate claims with insurance companies. Public adjusters work for you, not the insurance company. They charge for their services. Before you hire a public adjuster, make sure you understand what you’ll have to pay.

Public adjusters must have a TDI license. To learn if a public adjuster is licensed, call our Help Line at 800-252-3439.

Learn more about public adjusters.

Step 3: File a complaint with us

We can help with complaints against the insurance companies, agents, and adjusters we regulate.

We can't help with complaints about service providers, including mortgage companies, building contractors, and roofers. If you have a complaint against a service provider, send it to the licensing or enforcement agency that regulates the provider.

Before you complain to us, understand that there are some things we can’t do:

  • We can’t make a company pay a claim unless the failure to pay violates a law or the terms of your policy.
  • We can’t settle disputes when you and the company disagree about the facts. For example, we can’t determine whether damage was caused by a storm or normal wear and tear.
  • We can’t help with complaints against another person’s insurance company.

File your complaint

Use our online complaint system. You can attach supporting documents. 

Tips and resources:

Step 4: Get legal help

If you’re still not happy with the outcome of your claim and you want to sue your insurance company, use these resources to find legal help.

Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 9/28/2023