Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Life settlement provider

Apply for a license


You do not need to take an exam for a life settlement provider license.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if:
    • You live in Texas and (1) have an active license or registration with us, and (2) have already submitted fingerprints.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but do hold an active resident license in your home state. If you don’t, you must send one of the following with your application:
      • Your criminal history record from your state’s law enforcement agency, or
      • Your current Certificate of Good Standing from your state.
  • To receive your fingerprint service code and instructions, you must begin the application process on TDI’s online initial application and fingerprint portal.
  • To learn more, read the fingerprinting requirements and instructions.


Temporary license

A temporary license is not offered for a life settlement provider license.

Emergency license

An emergency license is not offered for a life settlement provider license.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for a life settlement provider license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Life Settlements are licensed under  Texas Insurance Code (TIC) Chapter 1111A and regulations are found in  28 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 3. Life Settlements can be both an insurance product and a securities product. This may subject them to the jurisdiction of the Texas Department of Insurance and the State Securities Board (SSB). However, only the initial transaction, which is the sale of the policy from the initial policy owner to the provider (negotiated by the broker) is regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance.

Question? Email us at

Last updated: 3/13/2024