Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Life insurance not exceeding $25,000

Manage your license

Update contact information

  • You must notify us immediately of changes to your contact information, legal name, or business name or address.
  • To update your information, go to our webpage: “Do you need to change a name or address?

Print license

You can print your license by going to the Sircon website. Don’t remember your license number? Use Sircon’s Customer Inquiry tool to find it.

Continuing education credits

  • To keep your license in good standing, you must take 10 hours of continuing education every two years.
    • Three hours must be in ethics / consumer protection (if your license expired on or before August 31, 2022, you need only two hours of ethics). To find courses, go to the Sircon website, click on “Approved Courses Inquiry,” and find “Ethics” in the category column.
    • At least 5 hours must be “classroom” or “classroom equivalent” courses. To find these courses, go to the Sircon website, click on “Approved Courses Inquiry,” and look in the method column.
    • In most cases, if you have a non-resident license, you don’t need to take continuing education courses through the state of Texas. To find out if you need to take Texas courses, go to the Sircon website and click on “Continuing Education Transcript Inquiry.”
  • There’s a $50 fine for every hour not completed on time, up to a maximum of $500 per license. You won't be able to renew your license until your continuing education is complete, and you've paid any fines. (There is no cap on fines for licenses that expired before June 1, 2018.)
  • Create an account on the Sircon website to:
    • Find courses and providers.
    • View your transcript.
    • Ask for an exemption or extension (you must do this two weeks before your license expires).
  • You may not need to complete continuing education if you have been continuously licensed in Texas for at least 20 years without interruption. To apply, go to Sircon and click on "Request CE Exemption."
  • If you write only policies for certain products, you can submit FIN529 Life Agent License Use affidavit to request a waiver of your CE requirements with each renewal.
  • More information:

License renewal

  • To ensure there is no delay in renewing a license, complete continuing education requirements at least 30 days before your license expires. This will allow time for the continuing education provider to report the successful completion of the course to us. See the section above to find out how to see your transcript or ask for an extension.
  • The renewal fee is $50. The late fee is $25.
  • There are several ways to pay your renewal fee:
    • If you have more than 30 days before your expiration date, use Sircon ($8.25 to process), or (no charge to process).
    • If you have less than 30 days, you must use Sircon ($8.25 to process).

Cancel license

To cancel your license, complete the Voluntary Surrender form and send it to

Letter of certification

You can ask for a letter of certification (proof you have a license in Texas) by going to Sircon. You will need to pay $11, plus any additional fees Sircon might charge.

Question? Email us at

Last updated: 8/10/2023