Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

You might have gotten the bill by mistake

Go back to beginning

Federal law protects you from surprise medical bills: (1) for air ambulance services, (2) for emergency services, or (3) when you didn’t have a choice of doctors.

If you have questions about your bill: 

Call the doctor or provider who billed you. If they have questions, they should call your health plan.

To get help, you can:

  • File an appeal with your health plan or ask for an external review. Your plan’s member handbook should explain how to start the process.
  • Call the federal No Surprises Helpdesk at 800-985-3059.
  • Visit the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Ending Surprise Medical Bills

If you want to file a complaint:

  • If you want to file a complaint about a doctor: Go to the Texas Medical Board website.

    You also can use the Texas Medical Board website to file a complaint about physician assistants, acupuncturists, surgical assistants, respiratory care practitioners, medical radiologic technologists, medical physicist, and perfusionists.

  • If you want to file a complaint about a hospital or facility: Contact Texas Health and Human Services.
  • If you want to file a complaint about your health plan or insurance company: Go to our webpage, How to file a complaint about a self-funded health plan.
Last updated: 1/24/2022