Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Surplus lines

Apply for a license


  • To learn about how and where to take an exam, go to Pearson VUE and download the candidate handbook. The Pearson VUE website also provides links to exam outlines and an ESL (English as a second language) request form.

    Visite el sitio web de Pearson Vue para descargar el bosquejo de contenido para el examen (Formulario “Content Outlines - Spanish”) y solicite tomar el examen en español (Formulario “English as a Second Language (ESL) Request Form”). Si usted tiene cualquier pregunta sobre cómo tomar el examen, llame a Pearson Vue al 888-754-7667 o puede charlar en línea a través del sitio web de Pearson Vue (Oprima “Need help? Contact customer service”).

  • You do not need to take an exam if your license has been expired for more than 90 days, but less than one year.
  • Veterans can be reimbursed the fees for exams taken on or after February 1, 2019. Veterans who have passed Texas insurance exams can apply to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to get the exam fee reimbursed.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if:
    • You live in Texas and have: (1) an active license or registration with us, and (2) already submitted fingerprints.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you send one of the following with your application:
      • Your criminal history record from your state’s law enforcement agency.
      • Your current Certificate of Good Standing from your state.
  • Begin the application process on TDI’s online initial application and fingerprint portal to receive your fingerprint service code and instructions.
  • To learn more, read the fingerprinting requirements and instructions.

Application: agent or agency

  • To apply for a surplus lines license, you already must have another license in good standing:
    • If you live in Texas, you must have either a general lines agent, property and casualty agent, or managing general agent license.
    • If you don't live in Texas, you must have a reciprocal state's surplus lines license.
  • If you want to apply for an agent license:
    • You must pass the exam before applying. If you apply before passing the exam, you will need to: (1) send a new application after you pass the exam, and (2) pay the application fee again.
    • You must complete your fingerprints and then submit an application within one year of passing the exam or you will need to retake the exam.
    • You must apply online by using Sircon or the National Insurance Producer Registry.
    • The application fee is $50.
  • If you want to apply for an agency license:
    • The application fee is $50.
    • On the application, you must give information for:
      • All executive officers, directors, or partners who administer the agency’s operations in Texas.
      • All individuals and entities in control of the agency’s operations.
    • At least one officer or active partner must have a surplus lines license.
  • Tips for successful application processing.

Non-resident license

If you have an active license in good standing in your resident / home state, you can apply for a non-resident license in Texas using Sircon or the National Insurance Producer Registry. The application fee is $50.

Temporary license

A temporary license is not offered for a surplus lines license.

Emergency license

An emergency license is not offered for a surplus lines license.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for a surplus lines license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Laws about the surplus lines license can be found in the Texas Insurance Code, section 981.202.

Question? Email us at

Last updated: 5/16/2023