Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Adjuster: designated home state – all lines

Apply for a license


  • To learn about how and where to take an exam, go to Pearson VUE. The Pearson VUE website also provides links to the candidate handbook, exam outlines, and an ESL (English as a second language) request form.

    Visite el sitio web de Pearson Vue para descargar el bosquejo de contenido para el examen (Formulario “Content Outlines - Spanish”) y solicite tomar el examen en español (Formulario “English as a Second Language (ESL) Request Form”). Si usted tiene cualquier pregunta sobre cómo tomar el examen, llame a Pearson Vue al 888-754-7667 o puede charlar en línea a través del sitio web de Pearson Vue (Oprima “Need help? Contact customer service”).

  • You do not need to take an exam if:
    • Your license has been expired for more than 90 days, but less than one year.
    • You have completed a TDI-approved course or training program within the last 12 months in adjusting losses. To find approved courses, create an account on the Sircon (Vertafore) website.
    • You have the chartered property and casualty underwriter or associate in claims designation.
  • The exam code, which is needed when signing up for an exam, is: InsTX-ALAdj16.
  • The exam fee is $62. The fee must be paid when making an exam reservation. You can pay online by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. Payments are not accepted at the testing center.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if you have: (1) an active license or registration with us, and (2) already submitted fingerprints.
  • Begin the application process on TDI’s online initial application and fingerprint portal to receive your fingerprint service code and instructions.
  • To learn more, read the fingerprinting requirements and instructions.

Application: individual adjuster

  • If you want to apply for an adjuster designated home state license:
    • You must pass the exam before applying. If you apply before passing the exam, you will need to: (1) send a new application after you pass the exam, and (2) pay the application fee again.
    • You must complete your fingerprints and then submit an application within one year of passing the exam or you will need to retake the exam.
    • You can apply online by using Sircon.
    • The application fee is $50.
  • If you want to apply to reinstate an expired individual adjuster license:
    • You can reinstate a license up to one year after it expired. (In the first 90 days, you can use the renewal process.)
    • Use Sircon and choose “Renew or Reinstate a License.”
    • Attach a copy of your fingerprint receipt from IdentoGO.
    • The application fee is $75.
    • A new, passing exam is not required if applying within one year after your license expired.
    • Be sure to answer all the questions on the application and attach any documents requested to your submission.
  • Questions? Call us at 512-676-6500 or email
  • Tips for successful application processing.

Non-resident license

The Texas designated home state adjuster license is the special non-resident license for individuals who are residents of non-licensing states. Only residents of states that don’t license adjusters can apply for this license.

If your state offers a resident adjuster license, you are not eligible for the Texas designated home state adjuster license. Your application will be declined, and your application fees will not be refunded.

Temporary license

A temporary license is not offered for a designated home state - all lines adjuster license.

Emergency license

An emergency license is not offered for a designated home state - all lines adjuster license.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for a designated home state - all lines adjuster license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Laws about the designated home state - all lines adjuster license can be found in the Texas Insurance Code, section 4101.001.

Question? Email us at

Last updated: 11/7/2023