Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Does insurance cover ATVs and golf carts?


Many Texans use small vehicles to get around for work and play. Maybe you use an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) when you go hunting or a golf cart for short trips in your neighborhood. But will insurance cover you if you get in a wreck? Here’s what you should do:

  1. Talk to your agent about your risks.

    Make a list of what you own and what you use it for. Then call your insurance agent or company to make sure everything on your list is covered. Most homeowners policies have limited coverage for golf carts and off-road vehicles, especially if you leave your property or drive them on streets. But you might be able to add coverage to your homeowners policy or car insurance policy, or you can buy a separate policy for that vehicle.

  2. Stay on premises.

    If you rent a golf cart but drive off the course or use an ATV on a deer lease but leave the lease, the facility’s policy may not cover anything that happens to you or the vehicle. There are a lot of exceptions. Always check the policy first.

  3. Be careful who rides.

    If you loan a vehicle to a friend and they have an accident, you could be liable for damage or medical costs. Always read your policy before you let someone borrow a vehicle.



Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 5/15/2024