Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Amusement ride FAQ

Return to the Amusement Ride homepage

What is an amusement ride?

An amusement ride is any mechanical, gravity, or water device or devices that carry or convey passengers along, around, or over a fixed or restricted route or course or within a defined area for the purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, or excitement. Examples of amusement rides include:

  • Most mobile carnival rides
  • Most theme park rides
  • Most water park rides and devices
  • Amusement rides also include, but are not limited to, the following:
    go-karts, rock climbing walls, bungee jumps, zip lines, mechanical bulls, trackless trains, continuous air-flow inflatable rides or devices (bounce houses, inflatable slides), and various simulators.

What is not an amusement ride?

Examples of items that are not considered an amusement ride or regulated by TDI include:

  • Non-mechanized playground equipment
  • Physical fitness/training devices or obstacle/ropes course equipment
  • Public conveyance devices
  • Zorb or hamster balls
  • Coin operated rides
  • Live animal rides
  • Motorsports
  • Wet Willie slide

What are the types of amusement rides?

  • Class A Ride: Any amusement ride with a fixed location and designed primarily for use by children 12 years of age or younger.

  • Class B Ride: Any amusement ride not defined as a Class A ride.

What is an amusement ride compliance sticker?

What are the requirements for an amusement ride compliance sticker?

  • Insurance: A certified copy of an insurance policy demonstrating compliance with TEX OCC. CODE (TIC) ANN. §§2151.101(a)(3) and 2151.1011(b), and 28 TEX ADMIN CODE (TAC) §5.9004(b). The insurance policy must include a schedule of rides with the names and serial numbers of each ride insured by the policy.
    • Class A Rides require limits of liability of not less than $100,000 bodily injury and $50,000 property damage per occurrence with a $300,000 annual aggregate or $150,000 per occurrence single limit with a $300,000 annual aggregate.
    • Class B Rides except for Class B motorized train amusement rides and continuous air flow inflatable require limits of liability of not less than $1,000,000 bodily injury and $500,000 property damage per occurrence or $1,500,000 per occurrence combined single limit.
    • Motorized trains and continuous air flow inflatables (Class B Rides) require limits of liability of $1,000,000 per occurrence.
    • View a list of all current amusement ride operators' insurance policies.
    • View a list of insurance agents that sell amusement ride insurance.
  • Inspection Certificate: An inspection certificate (Form AR-100) from the insurer, or person with whom the insurer has contracted, stating that each amusement ride has been inspected, meets the standards for insurance coverage, and is covered by the insurance policy.
  • Filing Fee: Owners and operators must pay a filing fee of $40 per ride. Make this payment after TDI receives the signed inspections and certificate of insurance listing each ride name and serial number.

    • To pay with credit card or debit card:
    • To pay with check or money order:
      • Make the check or money order payable to the Texas Department of Insurance.
      • Include the company's name somewhere on the check or money order.

        Mailing address for filing fees:
        Texas Department of Insurance
        Amusement Rides Program, PC-INSP
        P.O. Box 12030
        Austin, Texas 78711-2030

What additional reports does TDI require?

  • Quarterly injury report: Amusement ride owners and operators must submit a Quarterly Injury Report (Form AR-800) for any injuries caused by an amusement ride.
  • Quarterly Governmental Action Report: Amusement ride owners and operates must submit Quarterly Governmental Action Report (Form AR-801) for any governmental action taken relating to a particular amusement ride, including an inspection resulting in the repair or replacement of equipment used in the operation of an amusement ride.

What does TDI consider a reportable injury?

  • TDI requires amusement ride owners and operators to submit a Quarterly Injury Report if the injury requires medical treatment or results in death. The term "medical treatment" includes treatment (other than first aid) administered by a physician or by a registered professional under the standing orders of a physician. "Medical treatment" does not include first-aid treatment (one-time treatment and subsequent observation of minor scrapes, burns, splinters, and any other minor injuries that do not ordinarily require medical care) even though the treatment is provided by a physician or by a registered professional.
  • View Quarterly Injury Reports that amusement ride owners and operators submitted to TDI.

Who can check that an amusement ride has a compliance sticker?

  • A municipal, county, or state law enforcement official may enter a ride area without notice at any time to:
    • Check that a ride has a sticker
    • Ensure public safety
    • Immediately prohibit the operation of a ride for non-compliance or unsafe operation
  • If law enforcement requests, an amusement ride owner or operator must provide the following documents for each ride:
    • A copy of the insurance policy
    • A copy of the inspection certificate
    • A daily self-inspection log (for mobile rides only)
An offense for non-compliance is a Class B misdemeanor.

How do I report a ride that is not in compliance?

  • Email us at Please include attachments of advertising or pictures of the ride(s) in question.


  • Call us at 512-676-6750.

What are the laws about amusement ride requirements?

Who inspects amusement rides?

TDI doesn't inspect rides. Amusement rides are inspected by the ride owner's insurance company.

To become an inspector, you must contact insurance companies that insure amusement rides. Amusement ride inspectors are licensed through the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials (NAARSO).

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 11/29/2023