Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

General lines – property and casualty

Apply for a license


  • To learn about how and where to take an exam, go to Pearson VUE and download the candidate handbook. The Pearson VUE website also provides links to exam outlines and an ESL (English as a second language) request form.

    Visite el sitio web de Pearson Vue para descargar el bosquejo de contenido para el examen (Formulario “Content Outlines - Spanish”) y solicite tomar el examen en español (Formulario “English as a Second Language (ESL) Request Form”). Si usted tiene cualquier pregunta sobre cómo tomar el examen, llame a Pearson Vue al 888-754-7667 o puede charlar en línea a través del sitio web de Pearson Vue (Oprima “Need help? Contact customer service”).

  • You do not need to take an exam if:
    • Your license has been expired for more than 90 days, but less than one year.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you have a license in good standing in a reciprocal state.
    • You have the Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter designation.
  • Veterans can be reimbursed the fees for exams taken on or after February 1, 2019. Veterans who have passed Texas insurance exams can apply to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to get the exam fee reimbursed.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if:
    • You live in Texas and have: (1) an active license or registration with us, and (2) already submitted fingerprints.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you send one of the following with your application:
      • Your criminal history record from your state’s law enforcement agency.
      • Your current Certificate of Good Standing from your state.
  • Begin the application process on TDI’s online initial application and fingerprint portal to receive your fingerprint service code and instructions.
  • To learn more, read the fingerprinting requirements and instructions.

Application: agent or agency

  • If you want to apply for an agent license:
    • You must pass the exam before applying. If you apply before passing the exam, you will need to: (1) send a new application after you pass the exam, and (2) pay the application fee again.
    • You must complete your fingerprints and then submit an application within one year of passing the exam or you will need to retake the exam.
    • You must apply online by using Sircon or the National Insurance Producer Registry.
    • The application fee is $50.
  • If you want to apply for an agency license:
    • You can apply online by using Sircon or the National Insurance Producer Registry.
    • The application fee is $50.
    • On the application, you must give information for:
      • All executive officers, directors, or partners who administer the agency’s operations in Texas.
      • All individuals and entities in control of the agency’s operations.
    • At least one officer or active partner must have a general lines license with the same authority.
  • Tips for successful application processing.

Non-resident license

If you have an active license in good standing in your resident / home state, you can apply for a non-resident license in Texas using Sircon or the National Insurance Producer Registry. The application fee is $50.

Temporary license

  • A one-time 180-day temporary license is offered for a general lines license. This license is issued only once and cannot be renewed.
  • The application fee is $150. This provides you with both a temporary and a permanent license application.
  • Apply by using the Sircon website. You must scan and attach the Appointment certification for a temporary license (Form FIN700) to the Sircon application.
    • The agent, insurance company, or agency that you will work for (sponsor) must complete the Appointment certification for a temporary license (Form FIN700).
    • By signing the appointment certification form, the sponsor confirms that:
      • You are being considered for appointment as a full-time agent.
      • They would like you to have a temporary license.
      • They will supervise your training.
  • You must take at least 40 hours of training and it must:
    • Be given by the appointing company.
    • Take place no later than the 30th day after the application, application fee, and certificate from the appointing company are delivered or mailed to us.
  • If you have a temporary license and you want a permanent license:
    • You must pass the state exam within the 180 days this license is active.
    • You must send an email to that tells us you passed the exam. If you don’t pass the exam within the 180-day temporary license term, you must submit a new application and application fee.
    • You don’t need to submit a new application for the permanent license if you pass the exam before your temporary license expires.
  • Only one temporary license will be issued to you. You can’t renew or apply for another temporary license.

Emergency license

  • A 90-day emergency license is offered for a general lines property and casualty license.
  • The application fee is $50. To apply, call us at 512-676-6500.
  • An applicant for a property and casualty agent license can get an emergency license if:
    • The applicant needs to handle the business of another property and casualty agent who either: (1) died, (2) became disabled, or (3) is found to be insolvent and unable to pay premiums due to an insurer.
    • The applicant sends proof to us showing an emergency license is needed to preserve the agency assets of a deceased, disabled, or insolvent agent.
  • The applicant does not need to take and pass the exam before the emergency license is given.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for a general lines license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Laws about the General Lines – Property and Casualty license can be found in the Texas Insurance Code Sections 4051.051, 4001.160, 4051.054, and 4001.151.

Question? Email us at

Last updated: 5/16/2023