Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Adjuster: all lines

Apply for a license


  • To learn about how and where to take an exam, go to Pearson VUE and download the candidate handbook. The Pearson VUE website also provides links to exam outlines and an ESL (English as a second language) request form.

    Visite el sitio web de Pearson Vue para descargar el bosquejo de contenido para el examen (Formulario “Content Outlines - Spanish”) y solicite tomar el examen en español (Formulario “English as a Second Language (ESL) Request Form”). Si usted tiene cualquier pregunta sobre cómo tomar el examen, llame a Pearson Vue al 888-754-7667 o puede charlar en línea a través del sitio web de Pearson Vue (Oprima “Need help? Contact customer service”).

  • You do not need to take an exam if:
    • Your license has been expired for more than 90 days, but less than one year.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but you have a license in good standing in a reciprocal state.
    • You have completed a TDI-approved course or training program within the last 12 months in adjusting losses. To find approved courses, create an account on the Sircon (Vertafore)
    • You have the chartered property and casualty underwriter or associate in claims designation.
  • Veterans can be reimbursed the fees for exams taken on or after February 1, 2019. Veterans who have passed Texas insurance exams can apply to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to get the exam fee reimbursed.

Fingerprint background check

  • Most people who apply for a license must: (1) get a fingerprint background check from IdentoGO, and (2) send us a copy of the IdentoGO receipt showing that their fingerprints were sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • Some people can ask for an exemption from getting a fingerprint background check. To learn more, see the Texas Administrative Code.
  • You do not need to get a fingerprint background check if:
    • You live in Texas and (1) have an active license or registration with us, and (2) have already submitted fingerprints.
    • You don’t live in Texas, but do hold an active resident license in your home state. If you don’t, you must send one of the following with your application:
      • Your criminal history record from your state’s law enforcement agency, or
      • Your current Certificate of Good Standing from your state.
  • To receive your fingerprint service code and instructions, you must begin the application process on TDI’s online initial application and fingerprint portal.
  • To learn more, read the fingerprinting requirements and instructions.

Application: adjuster or agency

  • If you want to apply for an adjuster license:
    • You must pass the exam before applying. If you apply before passing the exam, you will need to: (1) send a new application after you pass the exam, and (2) pay the application fee again.
    • You must complete your fingerprints and then submit an application within one year of passing the exam or you will need to retake the exam.
    • You must apply online by using  Sircon.
    • The application fee is $50.
  • If you want to apply to reinstate an expired adjuster license:
    • You can reinstate a license up to one year after it expired. (In the first 90 days, you can use the renewal process.)
    • Use Sircon and choose “New Adjuster License.”
    • Attach a copy of your fingerprint receipt from IdentoGO.
    • The application fee is $75.
    • A new, passing exam is not required if applying within one year after your license expired.
  • If you want to apply for an agency (firm) license:
  • Questions? Call us at 512-676-6500 or email
  • Tips for successful application processing.

Non-resident license

If you have an active license in good standing in your resident state, you can apply for a non-resident license using Sircon. The application fee is $50.

Temporary license

A temporary license is not offered for an all lines adjuster license.

Emergency license

A 90-day emergency license is offered for an all lines adjuster license. To learn more, go to our Adjuster: emergency (catastrophe) license web page.

Provisional permit

A provisional permit is not offered for an all lines adjuster license.

Laws: Texas Insurance Code

Laws about the all lines adjuster license can be found in the Texas Insurance Code, section 4101.001.

Question? Email us at

Last updated: 3/12/2024