Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Questions to Ask Your Realtor BEFORE You Buy

1. Is Windstorm Insurance mandatory? Do I really need it?
Mortgage companies typically require full coverage which includes wind coverage. In the event you decide to sell your home the Certificate of Compliance (WPI-8) is an excellent selling point which proves code compliance and provides eligibility for windstorm coverage.

2. If I have flood insurance, isn't that all I need?
No. A flood policy does not cover ANY damage to a structure due to wind and hail.

3. Are all structures located in Texas affected by Windstorm requirements?
Just the counties which border the Gulf of Mexico (First Tier Counties). Chambers, Jefferson, Galveston, Brazoria, Matagorda, Calhoun, Refugio, San Patricio, Aransas, Nueces, Kleberg, Kenedy, Willacy, and Cameron. And portions of the following cities east of SH 146 in Harris County; Pasadena, Shoreacres, Morgan's Point, La Porte, and Seabrook.

4. Is the house currently insured for wind and hail insurance?
The Certificate of Compliance (WPI-8) is "proof of eligibility" for wind and hail insurance coverage through the State's catastrophe pool, the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA). Homeowners may contact TDI at 800-248-6032 or search for more information about the Windstorm Inspection Program or search for the Certificate online.

5. What is the claims history on this house? What repairs have been made?
The current insurance agent should have answers to all questions concerning the coverage on this structure. Including any claims filed.

6. Can I insure just the roof?
No. The entire structure must be insured to meet applicable code standards.

7. Who can conduct windstorm inspections?
An employee of TDI's Windstorm Inspections Division, or an engineer who has been appointed by the Commissioner of Insurance.

8. What if the house does not pass inspection? What is my alternative/next step?
Completed structures may be eligible for insurance through the TWIA waiver program or can be certified by an appointed engineer if deficiencies are corrected and code compliance met.

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 8/14/2023