An insurance carrier, injured employee, or the injured employee's representative may file a request for a letter of clarification (LOC) regarding a designated doctor's report with the Division of Workers' Compensation (DWC). Learn more at 28 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §127.20(a). Parties may only request clarification on issues addressed by the designated doctor's report or on issues that the designated doctor was ordered to address.
DWC benefit review officers or administrative law judges will review and act on requests for clarification.
As provided by 28 TAC §127.20(b)(1-4), requests for an LOC regarding a designated doctor's report must:
- include the name of the designated doctor, the reason for the exam, the date of the exam, and the name and signature of the requestor;
- explain why clarification of the report is necessary and appropriate to resolve a future or pending dispute;
- include questions that are not inflammatory or leading; and
- provide any medical records that were not already provided and explain why these records are necessary for the designated doctor to consider.
All requests for LOCs and responses to LOCs should be faxed to DWC at 512-804-4005.
Letter of clarification (LOC) resources
- Samples of approval/denials of requests for a letter of clarification of a designated doctor's report
- Correction of a mathematical error in a designated doctor's report
- Request for letter of clarification appeal procedure
- Frequently asked questions: letter of clarification
Call the Hearings main line at 512-804-4010.