Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Workers' compensation insurance coverage verification

In Texas, private employers can choose to carry workers' compensation insurance coverage (subscribers), but it is not required in most cases. A workers' compensation insurance policy provides lost wages and medical benefits to employees injured on the job.

All Texas governmental entities (public school, utility, city, or county) must have workers’ compensation coverage.

Workers' compensation coverage categories for Texas employers

Subscriber – Covered by a licensed Texas insurance carrier

An employer that provides workers’ compensation benefits to their employees by purchasing coverage through an insurance carrier. These employers include governmental entities (public school, utility, city, or county) and private companies.

Subscriber – Certified self-insured

A private employer approved to pay its own workers’ compensation losses rather than buy an insurance policy. Private employers can be certified to self-insure by applying with the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC).

Subscriber – Governmental entity that self-insures

A governmental entity (public school, utility, city, or county) that chooses to fund its own workers’ compensation program or join a pool with other governmental entities.

Non-subscriber – Employer without workers’ compensation coverage

Employers that choose not to provide workers’ compensation coverage to their employees must notify their employees and DWC.


If you can’t determine whether an employer has coverage, email and include:

  • Name of the employer.
  • Physical address of the employer.
  • Date of injury.

A DWC representative will respond and provide coverage information within one business day. For more information, email

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 9/18/2023