Careful with candles
- Don’t use candles in bedrooms.
- Blow them out before you go to bed.
- Keep them at least a foot from anything flammable.
- Never leave children alone with candles or matches.
- Consider using battery powered candles—they’re much safer.
Look after lights
- Don’t use indoor holiday lights or power cords for outdoor displays.
- Check lights and extension cords for damage before using them.
- Replace damaged bulbs or cords right away.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang outdoor lights. Nails can damage the cords.
Check the chimney
- Have your chimney and fireplace cleaned and inspected by a professional at least once a year.
- Keep anything flammable, such as stockings, at least 3 feet from your fireplace.
Cook with caution
- Don’t leave the kitchen when you’re cooking.
- Don’t leave home if your oven is on.
- Keep anything flammable away from your stovetop.
Follow fireworks rules
- Follow local laws and get a permit for group displays. Better yet, hire professionals.
- Keep kids away from fireworks and sparklers.
- Don’t use them near dry grass, brush, or other flammable materials.
- Keep a water bucket or hose nearby.
- Never aim or throw fireworks at anyone.