Follow these tips to stay safe
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food. If you leave for even a short time, turn off the burner.
- If you are baking or roasting food, check it regularly and use a timer.
- Don’t leave home if the stove or oven is on.
- Watch out for loose sleeves near an open flame.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – oven mitts, wood utensils, food packaging, or dish towels – away from your stovetop.
- Keep a lid handy to smother a fire.
If you have a cooking fire
- If a pan catches on fire, cover it with a lid to smother the flames and turn off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- Never use flour or water to put out a pan fire.
- If the fire is in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed until the fire is out.
- If you have any doubt about fighting a small fire, don’t. Get out! When you leave, close doors behind you to help contain the fire. Call 9-1-1 from outside the home.