Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

How to get insurance for a manufactured home


If you need homeowners insurance for your manufactured home, you have options.
Manufactured house
  1. Ask questions

    When you’re talking to companies about a policy, ask questions to be sure you’re getting the coverage you need.

    • How much coverage do I need for my house and personal property?
    • Should I get replacement cost or actual cash value coverage?
    • What discounts do you have to lower my premium?
    • Do I need other coverages, like flood or windstorm?

    Use our Home insurance shopping guide for more tips.

  2. Use an independent agent

    Independent agents sell insurance for several companies. It might be easier to ask them to shop for you. Ask family and friends if they use an independent agent. Or look online to find one with good reviews.

    Your agent will ask you questions to learn what you need and then shop for you.

  3. An option if you can’t find coverage

    If you can’t find a company to sell you a policy, you might be able to get coverage through the Texas FAIR Plan Association.

    You can get FAIR Plan coverage if two insurance companies have turned you down. For more information, call your agent or the FAIR Plan at 800-979-6440.

  4. Other policies you might need

    Depending on where you live, you might need to buy coverage for floods or windstorms. Flood insurance is separate from your home policy. If you live on the Gulf Coast, you probably need a separate windstorm policy to cover damage from hurricanes or other storms. Learn about the differences between homeowners, flood, and windstorm insurance.



Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 9/8/2023