Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

My home was damaged by a storm

Depending on the kind of damage your home has and where you live, you may need to file more than one insurance claim. If you need information, have a complaint, or can't locate your agent or company, call our Help Line at 800-252-3439.
Common policy claim deadlines: flood, 60 days; windstorm, 1 year; homeowners, check with your agent
  1. If you have a windstorm policy

    If you have a policy with the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association, report those claims at 800-788-8247 or 877-281-1431.

    You have one year from the date of damage to file a windstorm claim.

  2. If you have flood insurance

    The deadline for flood claims has been extended to one year. Work with your flood insurer to begin the claims process.

    • Visit the for information about how to file a claim.
    • Document the damage.
    • Complete a proof of loss statement to support your claim.
  3. Homeowners claims

    Homeowners insurance policies generally don't cover flood damage, but you still may want to file a claim if your home was damaged. Deadlines for filing claims vary by policy, but it’s a good idea to notify your agent or company as soon as you’re aware of damage. Some have deadlines of one year, and others require you to notify them of water damage much sooner.

    Your homeowners policy may cover:

    • Roof damage from a tree hitting your home during the storm.
    • Water damage from rain entering your home if the roof was damaged in the storm.
    • Damage to fences caused by high winds.
    • Spoilage of refrigerated food due to a power outage caused by the storm.
    • Additional living expenses to cover hotels, food, and other expenses if you were ordered to evacuate.
  4. If you have uninsured losses

    There are resources that can help you:

    • Homeowners, renters, and small businesses may be eligible for a disaster loan program through the U.S. Small Business Administration.
    • Disaster grants may cover disaster-related expenses such as replacement of furniture and clothing, medical expenses, and automobile repair and replacement. Call 800-621-3362 for more information.
    • Some mobile home insurance policies provide coverage for flood damage while others do not. Check the language in your policy or ask your agent.
    • Use to check the status of your FEMA application and find hotels that accept FEMA's Transitional Sheltering Assistance.



Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 1/26/2024