Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Delivering packages? What to know about auto insurance


If you’ve turned restaurant or package delivery into a side hustle or a full-time job, make sure you have the right auto insurance coverage. Here are some questions you should ask.

man delivering groceries
  1. What’s in my policy now?

    Checking what’s in your policy is always a good first step. Your agent or insurance company can tell you if you, your vehicle, or the goods you’re delivering are covered when you’re driving for business.

  2. Is the vehicle used primarily for delivery?

    Some personal use auto policies may cover you if you get into an accident during a paid delivery, even if that’s not the primary use of your vehicle. Other personal use policies won’t cover driving for business. Always tell your insurance company if you’re driving for business. If you don’t, the company could deny your claims, and you’d have to pay.

  3. Does my employer cover me?

    Some businesses have auto insurance that covers their drivers. Be careful, though, because there are often coverage gaps. For example, a policy might cover you when you are carrying goods for delivery, but not your drive to pick the goods up, the return trip, or side-trips for lunch or errands. Ask your employer for details, then check with your agent to see if you can get coverage for any gaps.

  4. Whose insurance covers accidents?

    Your employer may be liable for damages if you have an accident while driving for business purposes. As a result, some businesses require drivers to have a commercial auto insurance policy. But first, check with your insurance company or agent to see if you can add optional coverage for deliveries. It typically costs less than a commercial policy because insurers consider business driving riskier than personal driving.

  5. What about insuring the stuff I deliver?

    Again, you should ask your agent. Some policies cover damage to food or goods you deliver, but with other policies, you may need additional coverage. Or you might need a separate policy.


Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 5/15/2024