Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

What to know about continuing care retirement communities


Are you or a relative thinking about moving into a continuing care retirement community (CCRC)? We’ll help you learn more and give you tips.

Family visiting elderly relatives
  1. What are CCRCs?

    CCRCs are a combination of a place to live and get health care for older adults. They usually offer three types of housing and care:

    • Independent living for people who need little help.
    • Assisted living for people who need more help.
    • Nursing home care for people who need a lot of medical care.
  2. How much do they cost?

    CCRCs charge an entrance fee and a monthly fee. The monthly fee will go up as you need more care. Before you sign a contract, think about asking a lawyer or financial adviser to review it and help you understand it.

    Most people use long-term care insurance, savings, or sell their houses to pay for living in a CCRC.

  3. Do they provide health care coverage?

    Some CCRCs provide coverage for health care. Ask what the CCRC’s health plan covers before you drop your current plan.

    Your health insurance might pay for some of your health care. For example, Medicare pays for skilled nursing care for a short time. Medicaid pays for long-term care for people who qualify based on their income and assets.

  4. Need help?

    You can check the license status of a CCRC by calling our Help Line at 800-252-3439.

    TDI regulates CCRCs that require an entrance fee. We don’t regulate CCRC rates or contract language.

    You can file a complaint against a CCRC with us by calling our Help Line or using the Online Complaint Portal.

    For complaints about the assisted living or nursing home care in a CCRC, call the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services at 800-458-9858.



Questions? Call us at 800-252-3439.

Last updated: 4/14/2023