Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Surplus Lines Companies

Surplus Lines Agents must register with Agent's and Adjuster Licensing.
Please note, the email address has been discontinued.


Companies seeking to be eligible for Surplus Lines must first file with the Surplus Lines Stamping Office of Texas.

The Company Licensing and Registration Office is responsible for registering surplus lines insurers. By definition, surplus lines companies are not licensed to sell insurance in Texas. To be eligible, they must be licensed in their home country or home state to sell the lines of insurance they sell in Texas. 

Submit evidence along with:

Annual and Quarterly Filing Requirements for Surplus Lines Insurers

Foreign surplus lines companies are required to file financial statements with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) on an annual and quarterly basis, including CPA reports, Actuarial Opinions and Management Discussion and Analysis information by the due dates prescribed by the NAIC. To remain eligible, foreign surplus lines insurers must maintain the minimum level of capitalization as required by TIC 981.057. Financial documents filed with the NAIC are not filed with TDI.

Alien Surplus Lines companies are required to file annual financial statements with the NAIC International Insurance Department (IID) and are not filed with TDI.

Statutes and Regulations

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 11/9/2022