Chapter 443 of the Texas Insurance Code governs receiverships of insurers and other entities engaged in the business of insurance. When an entity is placed into receivership, the Commissioner of Insurance (Commissioner) is appointed the Receiver. As Receiver, the Commissioner is authorized to appoint a Special Deputy Receiver (SDR) and enter into other contracts for professional services.
SDRs are selected through a bidding process unless there is an emergency. The bidding process includes two phases:
- Applicants are qualified through a Request for Qualifications (RFQ). The RFQ determines if an applicant meets certain standards to serve as an SDR. Applicants approved under the RFQ (Eligible Applicants) may be eligible to submit a bid in response to a Request for Proposals (RFP) for an SDR.
- When an RFP is issued to select an SDR, Eligible Applicants may submit a bid. The bids will include proposed subcontractors. Bids are evaluated with respect to criteria such as qualifications, experience, and cost.
RFQs for SDRs and other professional services
1. Legal entities interested in qualifying as an SDR (RFQ-SDR-2021-1)
This RFQ solicits applications from legal entities interested in qualifying as SDR candidates for insurance receiverships in Texas. Successful applicants will be eligible to submit bids in response to a Request for Proposals for an SDR. Legal entities previously qualified under RFQ-SDR-2013-1 must reapply under RFQ-SDR-2021-1. Individuals are not eligible to apply to qualify as an SDR under RFQ-SDR-2021-1.
- Applicants approved under this RFQ (Eligible Applicants) will be notified on or after April 30, 2021.
- Eligible Applicants may submit bids on any RFP for Special Deputy Receivers issued on or after April 30, 2021, through April 30, 2024.
- The Commissioner reserves the right to issue other RFQs for Eligible Applicants, if needed, at any time during the term of this RFQ.
- Applicants are not required to submit fingerprints.
2. Individuals or legal entities interested in providing professional services (RFQ-SUBS-2021-1)
This RFQ solicits applications from individuals or legal entities interested in providing services in the following areas: legal, information technology, reinsurance, claims, and accounting.
- The list of applicants who are approved will be available to SDR applicants.
- A bid proposal submitted in response to an RFP for an SDR may, but is not required to, include professionals approved under this RFQ as subcontractors.
- The Receiver may also use the list to identify contractors for receiverships in which an SDR is not appointed.
Evaluation of applications
- All applications will be reviewed to determine if they are properly completed.
- Completed applications will be submitted to an evaluation committee of TDI employees appointed by the Deputy Commissioner of the Financial Regulation Division.
- The evaluation committee will consider the experience, abilities, references and/or background checks of the applicant to determine the applicant's compliance with the requirements of the RFQ.
- Each applicant will be notified of the decision regarding its application.
Notifications and questions
If you would like to be notified of updates about updates to this page and receivership services, sign up for email notifications.
If you have questions, email SDRcontracting@tdi.texas.gov.