Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

What is uninsured motorist coverage, and do I really need it?


It’s bad enough when you’re in a car wreck. But it can be much worse if the driver who caused the accident doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage can help. It’s like buying an extra insurance policy to cover you when the driver who caused the accident didn’t have enough insurance.

  1. Does my regular auto policy help?

    Most auto policies sold in Texas include some coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorists, but it may not be enough, especially if you have an expensive vehicle or if you ever need long-term medical care. Insurance companies must offer uninsured motorist coverage when you buy auto insurance. If you don’t want it, you have to turn it down in writing.

  2. Will my other insurance help?

    If you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver, your auto policy’s collision coverage pays for damage to your car. If you have a health plan, it should help cover your injuries. If an accident leaves you with long-term care needs or you aren’t able to work, your health plan probably won’t cover those costs.
  3. Who needs uninsured motorist coverage?

    Anyone who drives could need it. You never know when the person who hits you will have insurance or enough insurance to pay for your injuries and damage to your vehicle. Uninsured motorist coverage also pays if you’re in a hit-and-run accident and the other driver can’t be found to pay for damages.

  4. How much coverage can I get?

    You can usually add more uninsured and underinsured coverage in $5,000 increments. A rule of thumb is to add at least enough property damage coverage to replace your vehicle. Ask your agent what coverage would work best for you.



For more tips like these:

Like TDI on Facebook      Follow TDI on Twitter      Sign up for email updates      Subscribe to TDI's YouTube Channel

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 7/14/2022