Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Guidance for United Property & Casualty Insurance Company (UPC) policyholders who live along the Texas coast


If you live along the Texas coast, you may be able to get windstorm and hail coverage through a private market insurance company or the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA).

To be insured through TWIA:

  • You must live in TWIA’s “Designated Catastrophe Area.” View map
  • You must work with your agent to get TWIA coverage.
  • A property normally needs a windstorm certificate of compliance. Residential properties without a certificate can most likely still qualify for TWIA coverage but will need to pay a surcharge. If your commercial property doesn't have a certificate, you should contact TWIA.

    To find a certificate of compliance:

If you have questions about TWIA coverage, visit TWIA’s webpage or call your agent.

Learn more: FAQ for policyholders

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 3/1/2023