Effective January 1, 2007, anyone who must provide fingerprints to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) must pay an additional $39.00 fingerprint processing fee. The new fee is required under Commissioner's Order number 06-1077 that adopts amended 28 TAC §1.501 and new §§1.503 - 1.509. The Order was published in the October 20, 2006 issue of the Texas Register (31 TexReg 8676). The $39.00 processing fee will pay for criminal history background checks by both the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The $39 is in addition to the $9.95 fingerprint collection fee charged by the companies that take electronic fingerprints for TDI and any other license or application fees.
The new fee primarily affects new applicants and applicants who have allowed their license, registration, certificate to expire or terminate, or individuals becoming associated with a regulated entity, such as becoming an officer or director. An individual who has previously submitted fingerprints to TDI and maintains a current license, registration, certificate, and/or association with an entity is generally not required to submit a new set of fingerprints, even if the individual is applying for a different license type. The submission requirements are detailed in the rule, in particular §§1.503 and 1.504. The complete text of the rule may be accessed at: www.tdi.state.tx.us/rules/2006/1003-059.html.
In addition to the new fee, the process of having fingerprints taken and attaching the fingerprint cards to the application will change to implement electronic fingerprinting through approved vendors as authorized under the rule. As stated in the rule, electronic fingerprinting is fast and accurate, and in most cases will avoid potential delays in the processing of your submission. The general process as outlined in the rule, effective January 1, 2007, is:
1. Print and complete the FAST Pass form from TDI's website. You will need information from the FAST Pass when you make your fingerprint appointment.
2. Schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted. Pursuant to DPS requirements on the vendor, you will be photographed as part of the fingerprint process. As provided in §1.509, you must pay the $39.00 fee plus a $9.95 fingerprint collection fee ($48.95 total) to the vendor in a manner that is acceptable to that vendor. You have two electronic fingerprint vendor choices:
- Identix Identification Services has 60+ Texas fingerprint locations. Schedule at http://www.l1id.com/ or call toll-free 888-467-2080 (8 am-5 pm CST), or
- Thomson Prometric, TDI's insurance agent/adjuster examinations vendor, has 20 Texas fingerprint locations. Schedule at http://www.prometric.com/Texas/Insurance.htm or call toll-free 866-267-0455 (8 am-5 pm CST).
3. Arrive at your scheduled appointment with your FAST Pass. After your fingerprints and photograph are taken, the technician will give you a receipt stating that you were fingerprinted. Do not throw away the receipt. You will not get a printed fingerprint card. Your fingerprints will be sent electronically to DPS and the FBI.
4. Attach your fingerprint receipt to your application. You will be sending the receipt instead of sending a paper fingerprint card.
Exception to Electronic Fingerprinting
Non-residents may continue to submit paper fingerprint cards even after January 1, 2007, because electronic fingerprinting for TDI may be available only at sites located in Texas. Non-residents, however, may contact Identix Identification Services to determine if it has local fingerprinting facilities that can process fingerprints for TDI electronically. Also, resident applicants may submit a paper fingerprint card; however, as stated in §1.509, paper fingerprints may substantially delay the processing of these applications both due to longer processing times and because it will increase the likelihood that the fingerprint will be rejected by DPS or FBI and require a reprint. Additionally, as required in §1.509, beginning January 1, 2007, all fingerprints captured on paper cards must be captured by a criminal law enforcement agency. As described in the rule, persons submitting paper cards should mail the application to the address given on the application along with the paper fingerprint card and a $39.00 check or money order payable to DPS. The $39.00 fee applies to all applications submitted to TDI on or after January 1, 2007. TDI will forward the fee payment and the fingerprint card to DPS.
If you have questions about whether you need to be fingerprinted, please review all instructions for the specific license, registration, authority, or officer and director association on the application or biographical information form you are using. Please contact the following TDI division if you have additional questions:
Insurance Agents, Adjusters and Agency Officers and Directors:
Licensing Division, 512-322-3503
Insurance Company Officers and Directors:
Company Licensing and Registration Division, 512-322-3507
Title and Escrow Agents:
Title Division, 512-322-3482
Viatical and Life Settlements:
Life and Health Division, 512-322-3401
Workers' Compensation Network Officers and Directors:
Health and Workers' Compensation Network Certification and QA, 512-322-4266