When shopping for health insurance, there’s a lot to consider. In this video, we share tips for how to shop smart:
- Be aware of the deadlines to enroll if you’re shopping for health insurance through HealthCare.gov:
- You have until December 15 to get coverage on January 1.
- You have until January 15 to get coverage on February 1.
- If you have a medical issue or a doctor you like seeing, make sure that plan covers treatment, and your provider is in the plan’s network. If you take a medication, make sure it is covered. Call the insurance company if you have questions about what’s covered.
- Review out-of-pocket costs including deductibles and co-pays, which can increase depending on the cost of the plan.
- If costs have you worried, find out if you can get a tax credit. “Premium tax credits” or subsidies are based on your income. More people are expected to get subsidies than in past enrollment periods.
Use our checklist to help you decide on health coverage. Health plan shopping guide.
Make sure you weigh your options when it comes to health care insurance coverage. The Health care coverage guide has answers about how coverage works or if you need help understanding your rights.
Texas Health Compare allows you to find and compare health insurance plans. If you have more questions, call the TDI Help Line at 800-252-3439.