As companies contend with supply chain shortages, the State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) offers the following optional guidance for licensees and authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs).
If a licensee wants to use the following guidance, they must first get approval from their local AHJ. The licensee also must notify the local AHJ at each step.
This guidance is temporary and can be rescinded at any time:
- If a needed listed fire protection device is not readily available, the installing licensee must have documentation showing that the listed devices are on order from the manufacturer or supplier.
- The installing licensee must have documentation from the manufacturer or supplier stating that the devices are not available and are on backorder. Documentation can include an invoice or a letter from the manufacturer.
- A time extension to replace a device that does not meet code requirements with the proper listed device will not be extended beyond the next annual inspection of the fire protection system or equipment unless a request is made to and approved by the AHJ.
- Any commercial arrangements or contracts must be between the fire protection company, and the owner of the building or the general contractor, not with the SFMO. If the owner is leasing the building or space, the tenants must be notified in writing of the non-compliance.
- The completed fire protection system will be tagged in accordance with SFMO statute and rules. You must include the missing listed device on the label/tag.
- For sprinkler and alarm systems, you must include both:
- A service label/tag indicating that the system complies with all other requirements of the law, rules, and standards.
- A yellow label/tag indicating that the listed devices are not the type required by the standards.
- Installation labels cannot be attached to a new system with yellow or red labels.
- Once the properly listed devices are installed:
- An installation label/tag and a service label/tag will be attached.
- The service label/tag will list the corrected deficiencies from the yellow label/tag, and the yellow label/tag must be removed.