Skip to Top Main Navigation Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content Area Skip to Footer
Texas Department of Insurance
Topics:   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

February 22, 2021

Help for renters with winter storm damage


The Texas Department of Insurance offers tips to renters who lost personal items due to winter storm damage.

  • Your landlord is responsible for most structural repairs, such as damage to floors and walls from a burst pipe.
  • If you have renters insurance, many policies will pay for damage to your belongings caused by a frozen pipe that burst, but there may be limits. Take pictures of damage and talk to your insurance company before you throw away damaged items.
  • Some renters policies include additional living expenses if you have to move temporarily while repairs are made. If you have this coverage, you’ll need hotel and food receipts to file a claim.
  • Some renters policies cover food spoilage up to $500, and often there’s no deductible. Take pictures and keep a list of spoiled food.

If you’re a dependent, your parents’ homeowners policy may cover your items even if you don’t live at home. It’s usually limited to 10% of the personal property coverage of the homeowner policy.

If you don’t have renters insurance, you can apply for federal aid to cover your losses at

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 2/23/2021