System Monitoring and Oversight
System Monitoring and Oversight consist of three sections (Compliance Review, Audits & Investigations and Monitoring & Analysis). Each section works together to promote compliance in the Texas workers’ compensation system by:
- Promptly detecting and appropriately addressing acts or practices of noncompliance
- Promoting compliance with the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act and rules adopted under the Act through performance-based incentives
- Promoting communication between system participants
- Educating system participants of compliance requirements
The Compliance Review section investigates allegations of noncompliance in the Texas workers' compensation system. The Compliance Review section investigates more than 3,000 allegations of non-compliance a year.
Click Here to file a complaint.
- CY 2016 Complaint Information
- CY 2015 Complaint Information
- CY 2014 Complaint Information
- CY 2013 Complaint Information
- CY 2012 Complaint Information
Audits & Investigations
The Audits & Investigations section conducts compliance audits of workers' compensation system participants and prepares confirmed complaints for potential enforcement action. The Audits & Investigations section conducts more than 60 compliance audits a year and handles more than 500 confirmed complaints a year.
- Audit Plan FY2017
- Audit Plan FY2016
- Audit Plan FY2015
- Audit Plan FY2014
- Audit Plan FY2013
- Management Response (Microsoft Excel Templates)
Monitoring & Analysis
Monitoring & Analysis section monitors compliance trends in the workers’ compensation system. Monitoring & Analysis' primary objectives are achieved through monitoring electronic data submitted to the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers' Compensation (TDI-DWC) and communicating with system participants of potential compliance issues.
Some of the compliance trends monitored are:
- Claims and Medical Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) transmissions
- Ongoing claims benefits
- Accuracy of certain Medical State Reporting fields (see FY2017 audit plan for a list of data elements)
- Accuracy of certain Claims Data Reporting (see FY2017 audit plan for a list of data elements)
- Underpayment of Death Benefits and Lifetime Income Benefits
- Plain Language Notices
The following are standard monitoring reports available:
- Insurance Performance Score Card
- Detailed Insurance Carrier Initial Payment Data
- Detailed Insurance Carrier Medical Bill Monitoring Data
Click here to read more on EDI in Texas.
Performance Based Oversight (PBO)
Click here for the main PBO web page.
Insurance Carrier Quarterly Meetings
Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers' Compensation (TDI-DWC) holds quarterly insurance carrier meetings to discuss complaints and other compliance issues in the workers' compensation system.
The purpose of these meeting are to provide insurance carriers with early notice of complaint issues currently impacting the system and to solicit feedback that will assist the TDI-DWC in resolving these issues. Our goal will be to provide system complaint information and to problem-solve through focused, open communication in an informal atmosphere.
- 4/27/2017 agenda
- 1/26/2016 agenda, presentation
- 10/27/2016 agenda, presentation
- 7/21/2016 agenda, presentation
- 4/14/2016 agenda, presentation
- 1/27/2016 agenda, presentation
- 10/14/2015 agenda, presentation
- 7/29/2015 agenda, presentation
- 1/22/2015 agenda, presentation
- 10/23/2014 agenda, presentation
- 7/10/2014 agenda, presentation
- 4/24/2014 agenda, presentation
System Monitoring Reports
Insurance Performance Score Card contain information related to a specific insurance carrier regarding complaints, timeliness of initial payment and reporting of TIBs, and timeliness of medical bill processing and reporting.
To request a Carrier Performance Score Card, you will need to send your request by email to System Monitoring and Oversight (SMO@tdi.texas.gov). Please include the insurance carrier name/FEIN in your request and how you would like the data set delivered (email, disc, etc.).
Detailed Insurance Carrier Initial Payment Data (Standard Report) contains initial payment data submitted by an insurance carrier.
To request an Insurance Carrier Initial Payment Data report, you will need to request through Open Records Request (www.tdi.texas.gov/commish/legal/lcoprc1i.html) to the ATTENTION of System Monitoring and Oversight. Please include the insurance carrier name/FEIN in your request and how you would like the data set delivered (email, disc, etc.).
Detailed Medical Bill Monitoring Data (Standard Report) contains each type of medical bill (SV1, SV2, SV3, & SV4) with the most recent quarter of refresh MB data.
To request a Medical Bill Processing Monitoring Data Report, you will need to request through Open Records Request (www.tdi.texas.gov/commish/legal/lcoprc1i.html) to the ATTENTION of System Monitoring and Oversight. Please include the insurance carrier name/FEIN in your request and how you would like the data set delivered (email, disc, etc.).
Back to the top
For more information, contact:
Last updated: 03/28/2017