This file is historical in nature. Links and contact information may be outdated and no longer valid.
April 11, 2011
10 Companies Approved to Self-Insure for Workers' Compensation
AUSTIN, TX - The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers' Compensation (TDI-DWC) approved one initial application and nine renewals of the Certificates of Authority for companies to self-insure their workers' compensation claims for a one-year period under the TDI-DWC Self-Insurance Program. These ten companies collectively employ approximately 33,800 employees in Texas.
Under Texas law, certain large, private companies can self-insure for workers' compensation claims, while retaining the protection of the Texas Workers' Compensation Act for the company and for its employees. To qualify, a company must have a minimum workers' compensation insurance unmodified manual premium of $500,000 and meet other requirements subject to annual review.
The following companies received self-insurance certificates:
- ABF Freight System, Inc., Fort Smith, AR
- Ameron International Corporation, Pasadena, CA
- Ascension Health, St. Louis, MO
- Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, Beaumont
- Jacobs Engineering Group Inc., Houston
- James Construction Group, LLC, Baton Rouge, LA (new to program)
- Mount Vernon Mills, Inc., Mauldin, SC
- PACCAR Inc., Bellevue, WA
- Textron, Inc., Providence, RI
- Weyerhaeuser Company, Federal Way, WA
For more information on applying to the Self-Insurance Regulation program, visit the TDI website at http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/si/index.html
For more information contact:
Last updated: 09/06/2014