Company Licensing and Registration
Registered and non-admitted companies - These insurers represent the non-standard market. When the same kind and class of coverage cannot be placed in the admitted market with a licensed insurer after a diligent search by a licensed surplus lines agent, it can be placed in the non-admitted market with a surplus lines insurer. Other registered companies include Foreign Risk Retention Groups, Accredited / Trusteed Reinsurers and Purchasing Groups and are described in more detail in sections that follow. Additionally, Life Settlements, while considered non-admitted, are not in fact insurance companies, but are licensed by the department due to the unique nature of the initial sale of a life insurance policy to a third party.
Fingerprinting Requirements, FAST Pass, etc - Including the general process, exception to electronic fingerprints, links to forms and L1-Services fingerprinting vendor website.
Inquiries and Mailings
***NOTICE*** Company Licensing and Registration is now accepting electronic filings. All UCAA filings should be submitted electronically through the NAIC UCAA Website. Non-UCAA filings should be submitted in PDF format to CLRFilings@tdi.texas.gov. All fees and payments associated with the filings will need to be mailed to the Texas Department of Insurance mailing address below. A cover letter and the Fee Transmittal Form (FIN321) should be sent with the fees and payments. For further instructions see Electronic Filing Guidelines.
Direct Inquiries to:
Authorized / Admitted Market -- (512) 322-4370 or CompanyLicense@tdi.texas.gov
Registered and Non-Admitted -- (512) 322-3535 or RegistrationTeam@tdi.texas.gov
Bonds and Securities -- (512) 322-4124 or CompanyLicense@tdi.texas.gov
Third Party Administrators -- (512) 305-7521or TPA@tdi.texas.gov
Premium Finance -- (512) 322-3579 or PremiumFinance@tdi.texas.gov
Open Records Requests - (512) 322-3507 or CLROpenRecords@tdi.texas.gov
FAX: (512) 490-1035
Texas Department of Insurance
Company Licensing and Registration, MC 305-2C (if mailing money use MC9999)
P.O. Box 149104
Austin, Texas 78714-9104
Texas Department of Insurance
Company Licensing and Registration, MC 305-2C (if mailing money use MC9999)
Austin, Texas 78701
The Company Licensing and Registration Office is tasked with licensing and registering insurance companies, and other ancillary operations for both the admitted/authorized market and the registered/non-admitted. Prior to granting authority, the office collaborates with all areas of the department who may have relative information on companies, including checking past company activities and personnel, soliciting input about the products the company is proposing to offer, and sharing information regarding the applicant company's business model with other appropriate areas of the department. Additionally, this office serves as case manager, not only for licensing and registering activities, but corporate transactions such as mergers, redomestications, etc. This office performs many related functions, such as determining eligibility of surplus lines carriers, registering risk retention groups, accredited / trusteed reinsurers and purchasing groups, and licensing life settlements. The office maintains biographical information on officers and directors of licensed companies, manages required statutory deposits, and serves as the custodian of official company records.
These insurers represent the standard market. The Company Licensing and Registration Office incorporates and licenses domestic authorized carriers, and admits foreign insurers, licensing them to operate in the Texas standard admitted market. The Office also reviews and approved other related transactions that impact the charter and/or license of domestic insurers and the license of foreign insurers. Although not all-inclusive, this Office handles the transactions below which are among the mainstream operations that bear risk or provide related services.
- Domestic Companies (stock and mutual property and casualty)
- Foreign Companies (stock and mutual life and health)
- Texas Lloyds Companies
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs)
- Multiple Employers Welfare Arrangements (MEWAs)
- Workers’ Compensation Self-Insurance Groups (SIGs)
- Captive Insurers
- Professional Employer Organization Self-Funded Health Plans
- Health Care Collaboratives
- Third Party Administrators
- Premium Finance Insurance Companies
- Statutory Deposits Requirements for the above entities
- Refer to Authorized Insurance Companies (zip file) for a list of companies doing business in Texas. Includes: Addresses, Date of Incorporation, License Date, Phone Numbers, Officer Names, Licensed Lines, Assets, Liabilities, etc.
- Officer and Director Requirements
- Minimum Capital and Surplus Requirements for Property and Casualty Insurers
These insurers represent the non-standard market. When the same kind and class of coverage cannot be placed in the admitted market with a licensed insurer after a diligent search by a licensed surplus lines agent, it can be placed in the non-admitted market with a surplus lines insurer. Due to market availability issues, unique risks or limits which exceed what is available in the admitted market, surplus lines insurance is sometimes available. However, there is limited financial oversight required of these companies in accordance with the Federal Non-Admitted Reinsurance Reform Act (NRRA). Although the capitalization levels required for surplus lines insurers, both foreign and alien, are often much higher than the admitted insurers, the regulations are much more restricted.
Other registered companies include Foreign Risk Retention Groups, Accredited / Trusteed Reinsurers and Purchasing Groups. Additionally, Life Settlements, while considered non-admitted, are not in fact insurance companies, but are licensed by the department due to the unique nature of the initial sale of a life insurance policy to a third party.
- Surplus Lines Insurers
- Risk Retention Groups
- Purchasing Groups
- Life Settlements
- Accredited and Trusteed Reinsurers
- Refer to Surplus Lines Companies for a list of Surplus Lines Companies that includes name, city, state, mailing address, and eligibility date
- For information regarding surplus lines insurers and surplus lines agent policy filing requirements, also visit the Texas Surplus Lines Stamping Office of Texas website at www.slsot.org. Disclaimer: The department does not monitor the financial status of surplus lines insures on the eligibility list.
- To obtain the latest Quarterly Listing of Alien Insurers, visit the NAIC's Surplus Lines Financial Analysis Working Group webpage. On the right hand side of the page, under the "Related Documents and Resources" tab, click on Quarterly Listing of Alien Insurers.
- The NAIC's Consumer Information Source (CIS) provides information about insurance companies. Access key information about insurance companies, including closed insurance complaints, licensing information, and key financial data.
- A variety of lists can be acquired from our Reports Menu
Insurers wishing to update Officers and Directors
Continue to MAIL PAPER submissions to Company Licensing and Registration, MC 305-2C. Follow-up emails related to Biographical Affidavits, Officer and Director pages, and Company Details Sheets should be sent to CLRBioUpdate@tdi.texas.gov. We do not accept emailed documents. We do not accept fingerprint cards in this office. Please see fingerprinting information below for further instructions.
Refer to TDI Bulletin; B-0006-10 issued February 10, 2010, amends TIC §822.054, to require P&C carriers in Texas to have $2.5 million in capital and $2.5 million in surplus. HB 1476 explains the phase-in process for all P&C insurers to meet the increased minimum surplus requirements.
The fingerprint requirement is authorized in Texas Insurance Code §801.056 and amended 28 TAC §1.501 and §§1.503 – 1.509. The complete text of the rule may be accessed at http://www.tdi.texas.gov/rules/2006/1003e-059.html.
The Texas Department of Insurance strongly encourages all Applicants to utilize electronic fingerprinting through approved vendors as authorized under the rule. Electronic fingerprinting is fast and accurate, and in most cases will avoid potential delays in the processing of your submission.
The general process for electronic fingerprinting is:
- Print and complete the FAST Pass form from TDI’s website, FAST Pass Form (for electronic fingerprint appointment). You will need information from the FAST Pass form to make your electronic fingerprint appointment.
- Schedule an appointment to be electronically fingerprinted. You must schedule a fingerprint appointment by visiting www.identogo.com (IdentoGO Centers By MorphoTrust USA, formally known as L-1 Enrollment) or by calling 1-888-467-2080. Pursuant to DPS requirements on the vendor, you will be photographed as part of the fingerprint process. You must pay the fee to the vendor in a manner that is acceptable to the vendor. All electronic fingerprint appointments must be made by DPS’ vendor. The vendor has 90+ Texas fingerprint locations. See the FAST Pass form for complete instructions to obtain an electronic fingerprint appointment.
- Arrive at your scheduled appointment with your FAST Pass. After your fingerprints and photograph are taken, the technician will give you a receipt stating that you were fingerprinted. Do not throw away the receipt. You will not get a printed fingerprint card. Your fingerprints will be sent electronically to DPS and the FBI.
- Attach a copy of the fingerprint receipt to your affiliated insurance company’s application. A FAST Pass receipt must be attached to the application for each person required to provide fingerprints. Keep the original FAST Pass receipt for your records.
Exception to Electronic Fingerprinting:
When electronic fingerprinting is not available, the following process must be followed. Note that TDI does not accept fingerprint cards. Any fingerprint cards received by TDI, will be returned to sender, at sender's expense.
- Print and complete the FAST Fingerprint Card Scan Authorization Form from TDI’s website. ALL information requested on the FAST Fingerprint Card Scan Authorization Form MUST be provided. That includes sex, race, date and place of birth, home address, etc. If the required information is not provided, the fingerprint card cannot be processed.
- Get fingerprinted by a criminal law enforcement agency on an original APPLICANT fingerprint card that includes Texas Department of Insurance ORI TX920540Z. ALL requested information must be provided on the fingerprint card and you and the official taking the fingerprints must sign the card. Blank cards may be obtained from TDI by calling 512-322-3503 or e-mail request to License@tdi.texas.gov. All fingerprints MUST be captured by a law enforcement agency.
- Make check for $41.45 payable to vendor, MorphoTrust USA.
- Mail the completed Fingerprint Card Scan Authorization Form, original fingerprint card and check to: MorphoTrust USA, Attn: Texas Card Scan, 3051 Hollis Drive, Suite 310, Springfield, IL 62704
- Wait for a FAST receipt from MorphoTrust. The receipt should be mailed to the applicant's home address. If the applicant hasn't received the receipt within a month, please contact MorphoTrust USA at 1-888-467-2080 to receive a faxed copy. The FAST receipt must be attached to the TDI filing. The FAST receipt allows TDI to locate criminal history information.
Fingerprints provided for this application shall be used to check criminal history records of the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, in accordance with applicable statutes.
TDI cannot complete processing an application until it receives a criminal history report from DPS and FBI for insurance company officers and directors required to provide fingerprints.
Related Archived Bulletins regarding Fingerprints:
Commissioner's Bulletin B-0043-07, re: Fingerprinting and Electronic Procedures (effective Oct 22, 2007)
Commissioner's Bulletin B-0045-06, re: Fingerprint fee and Electronic Procedures (effective Jan 1, 2007)
- Other filing requirements are located in Filing Smart
- Surplus Lines disclaimer
|Help For||Toll-Free #|
|[ tdi phone listings ]|
|Agents / Adjusters|
|Media / Others|
|Agent Lookup||Company Lookup|
|DWC Forms||All Other Forms|
|TDI Jobs||TXCOMP Home|
|[ popular links · more lookups ] |
For more information contact:
Last updated: 09/05/2014