Conferences and Training
- TEEX/IAAI Annual Arson and Fire Seminar (March 19-24, 2017)
- Texas Fire Marshals' Conference (October 15-20, 2017)
- Texas K9 Conference (November 2017)
- North Texas Fire Marshals' Conference (January 2018)
- Fire Marshal Discussion Series
- Texas Fire Investigation Forums and Science Advisory Workgroup Meeting
Information about all events can also be found on the SFMO Calendar
These series open in the morning with open discussion between local code enforcement officers and representatives from multiple state agencies. This forum is designed to facilitate communication between local AHJs and state agencies, discuss differences in code requirements, and improve the level of service provided for state-licensed facilities.
The afternoon is an open discussion between local fire investigators and SFMO representatives. Attendees are provided information on current topics and trends in fire investigations, SFMO investigative services, and the SFMO's role in fire investigations. This forum is designed to facilitate open communication between local fire investigators and the SFMO. Click on the "Calendar" link in the left-side bar of our home page to get more details about each event.
2017 Fire Marshal Discussion Series
- April 13, Midland
- June 14, Longview
- August 9, San Marcos
- November 1, DFW
- February 21, Corpus Christi
- Department of Aging and Disabilities Services Inspections
- Department of Family and Protective Services: Child Care Licensing Information
The SFMO has teamed with the Texas Forensic Science Commission (FSC) to present quarterly Texas Fire Investigation Forums. At each forum, fire investigation experts present training and classes on information pertinent to arson investigations.
In addition, the SFMO has assembled the Science Advisory Workgroup (SAW) to review previous arson cases and to provide feedback and expertise on current cases. The SAW meets at each Fire Investigation Forum.
- May 9-11, 2017, Fort Worth
- September 12-14, 2017, Amarillo
- December 5-7, 2017, Beaumont
- January 31-February 2, 2017, Laredo (Presentations)
- November 29-December 1, 2016, San Antonio
May 17-19, Bryan
- February 16-18, Edinburg, Courtroom Testimony and Evidence Management
- Advances in Arc Mapping: August 25-26 (Lubbock)
- Fire Analysis Tools for Fire Investigators (May 12-13, Richardson) (Presentations)
- Legal Considerations of Fire Investigations (December 9-10, 2014, Plano)
- Complex and Fatality Scene Management (August 12-13, 2014, San Antonio)
- Smoke and Heat Detection Systems (May 13-14, 2014, Plano)
- Explosion Dynamics (February 25-26, 2014, Corpus Christi)
- Winter Texas Fire Investigation Forum: "Keeping Up With the Dogs" (December 2-3, 2013, Plano)
- Summer Texas Fire Investigation Forum: "Frontiers in Arc Mapping" (June 4-5, 2013, Houston) (Presentations)
- Spring Texas Fire Investigation Forum: "Surviving the Daubert Challenge" (April 8-9, 2013, Plano) (Presentations)
- Winter Texas Fire Investigation Forum: "Fire Investigations Involving Fire Fatalities" (January 7-8, 2013, Houston)
The SFMO organizes and presents a variety of training, classes, and seminars around the state on a variety of fire service topics. Check this space, and our SFMO Calendar, to learn about upcoming training opportunities in your area.
- July 18, Fire Dynamics
- February 9-11, Inspections, Austin
- Fire Safety Inspections: NFPA 72, NFP A 1 (June 18-19, 2014; Schertz)
- Burn to Learn: Flashovers, Unusual Burn Patterns, and Explosions (with Jamie Novak) (May 19-21, 2014; Lewisville)
- LP, Natural Gas Explosions, and Unusual Burn Patterns (January 28-30, 2014; Humble)
- LP, Natural Gas Explosions, and Unusual Burn Patterns (September 17; Austin)
TEXFIRS/NFIRS training instruction, including class announcements, self-study course information, and access to the NFIRS Handbook, forms, and incident coding assistance is available on the TEXFIRS Training page.
For more information, contact:
Last updated: 03/15/2017