Health Information Counseling and Advocacy Program of Texas
HICAP´s mission is to establish and maintain a comprehensive, coordinated and statewide system of health insurance counseling for older and disabled Texans.
The Texas Department of Insurance partners with the Texas Legal Services Center and the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services to provide information about both public benefits and private health insurance.
All HICAP programs in Texas are committed to working with seniors, particularly in the area of benefits counseling. HICAP staff and volunteers, located in 28 Area Agency on Aging offices, are trained in all aspects of public and private benefits.
Call a benefits counselor at 1-800-252-9240.
HICAP staff and volunteer benefits counselors provide one-to-one assistance to seniors by:
- Providing information about Medicare and Medicaid eligibility, program benefits, and appeal rights.
- Providing assistance with completing Medicare and supplementary claim forms.
- Explaining Medicare supplement insurance policy benefits, exclusions, and coverage language.
- Explaining the pros and cons of health maintenance organization (HMO) memberships.
- Providing information about long-term care options, including long-term care insurance.
- Making referrals to HICAP staff, the Texas Legal Services Center, or other appropriate community agencies.
Benefits counselors are not allowed to recommend any policy or plan. Their role is to provide factual, unbiased information and assistance and to act as advocates when needed.
HICAP is partially funded by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. It is not affiliated with any insurance company or HMO.
For more information contact:
Last updated: 05/05/2015